Thursday, December 9, 2010

Running

My musical taste, much like my fashion sense, has not really evolved since High School. Normally, it doesn't really bother me. I like whiny, indie, alterna humor music. It fits in perfectly in my fractured, technicolor mind. Except (you knew that was coming, didn't you Internet) for when I'm running.

I have proudly run every other day for two whole weeks now. My shin splints are gone but the same old shit on my ipod isn't cutting it anymore. I recently discovered the Decemberists and love love LOVE them. Just last night I was laying on my floor reveling in Picaresque. Today, out running it wasn't working. I can't listen to songs about shape-shifting lovers and infanticidal Rakes while pounding the asphalt. I am finding myself skipping through the bulk of my music because it is too slow to distract me from my task.

What does manage to work shouldn't be surprising to anybody. It's music that makes you want to shake your ass. I skip They Might be Giants to listen to Blackalicious. I avoid the Eels in favor of a raucous Gogol Bordello tune. Mr. Bungle is still working out ok, but I need something else. Salt 'n Peppa is in heavy rotation after scoring Very Necessary at a garage sale. (Ok, yes there is a whole world of music online. I am not online at my house yet. I KNOW what this makes me. A cheap-ass luddite who still buys cds. Working on a remedy.)

Running while listening to music gets me out of my head for a small 30 to 45 minutes every other day. It is a break that I sorely need, but I need new music to pull me upward and out. Where should I start looking?

No comments:

Post a Comment