Tuesday, November 30, 2010

feeling every bit of 31

So I started running this week. This is my annual attempt to become a regular runner. I get about 3 sessions in, develop debilitating shin splints and stop. I have repeated this pattern for the past 7 years. I am insanely predictable.
What brought this bout of fitness on? Age. I know I am not that old, but I know that a lifetime of problems can be circumvented through regular exercise. Also, I'm finding it harder to go from the no-exercise winter into hard core field work in the summer. The old corps doesn't bounce back like it used to.

Running is something I used to enjoy and would like to again. Some of the best worst days in high school were doing liners or wind sprints after soccer practice. I managed 1 liner today and it just about killed me. Perhaps I should look into something lower impact, but that would be letting my stupid shins win. I will not let such an innocuous part of my body dictate my life.

So I'm sitting here, thinking about the nice bath later and maybe some ice packs to bring the swelling down.

Oh, and while we're lamenting lost youth, I got 7 Brides for 7 Brothers on DVD from the library. For those of you who know me, you are laughing pretty good right now. I only have it on VHS and thus haven't seen it for a few years. Wow, is that ever a cheesy, sexist movie. From Howard Keel singing about "the beautiful hide" of his intended to the 6-couple shotgun wedding. I don't know if I can call it a favorite anymore, but that barn raising dance off is still pretty spectacular. And the fact that one of the girls is named Dorcas. Yeah, it's biblical but that doesn't make up for the silliness.

It's no Oklahoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment