Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Broken Buttercream

I can't win for losing. I like to bake sweet things, but I don't really like to eat sweet things all that much. As a result, I sort of don't really finish things. Take cupcakes. I'll say I made them "healthy" when I don't feel like making frosting. My old man things a cupcake without frosting should not be--he'll ask why I even bother. But when I do make frosting it has at least a stick of butter in it. Then he wonders why I'm trying to kill him with all the butter.

Well, last night I made cupcakes. With frosting. But the frosting was sort of wrong. It was a brown sugar butter cream where you cook some egg whites with sugar then beat them. you then beat butter a couple of Tablespoons at a time until smooth. The frosting turned out lumpy and sort of gross. It tastes fine but the color was bleah and the texture had little butter chunks that I couldn't beat out. Anybody have a good technique for butter cream frosting? I've done the sugar plus butter and the egg white frosting, but this little stiff butter cream eludes me.

Also, piping on brown sugar butter cream is sort of interesting, if I were interested in making artificial dog crap. It is a very bad color.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I didn't like sweet things. If I didn't exercise I'd be as big as a house. I don't make cupcakes,though. Cookies mostly.

    ReplyDelete