Thursday, December 3, 2009

My diamond shoes are too tight

Yes. I am going to whine about a problem that is not only a pretend, made-up non-problem but one that I totally created. I have too much damn fish and deer in my freezer.

Specifically too much Salmon. Yes, poor me. We need to be eating Salmon 2-3 times per week and deer at least once, if not twice a week. I am in a food rut. Plus with it getting dark at 3pm, I just want to go to bed at 6:30 and not be finishing dinner.
The deer is less of a problem than the salmon because a deer comes with different cuts that require different cooking--stir fry/stew quality meats, roasts, braises, etc. There is a lot more I can do with deer than with fish simply because it will tolerate different types of heat. Above is the first venison roast of the season--just a paste of rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil.

Salmon, not so much. There are a few ways to cook salmon to change it up. Slow roasting, broiling, pan frying, poaching are pretty good. Adding a sauce or making a fun salad works too. HOWEVER Salmon, no matter what you do with it, always tastes like salmon. It is delicious, don't get me wrong, but there is only so much you can do with it.

I am in a Salmon Rut. There are only so many times per month that my dear, sweet husband will tolerate the miso marinade broiled salmon that I so dearly love. I have tried almost all of my recipes for salmon/trout/steelhead in my cook books and magazines. Everything I find online is a variation on something I already know how to do or have ruled out after trying. Salmon is such a distinctive flavor that most recipes feature the taste of salmon (as they should). Thing is, I am quite tired of the bloody stuff but I still have to prepare/eat it because it is in my freezer and that's what you do up here.

Have you noticed that I am moody? I have tripped at least 3 times today and confused Apple Computers with Toyotas. (But they're kind of the same, right?) I should be baking too because starchy sugar-fat is awesome. All I really want to do is go split firewood with a heavy maul.

No salmon tonight. That will have to wait until Friday/Saturday. Tonight is pepper steak stroganoff.

7 comments:

  1. Dang! You can send me your salmon. I am going into major withdrawal and may even have to start taking fish oil. Have you tried salmon calzones? I wish I still had a boyfriend in Alaska cause he could bring me some...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! How do you make these? Do you use cheese and cooked salmon? Do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup and veggies if you want. Use a regular calzone recipe. I think I cooked the salmon at the same time. Pretty sure I found the recipe in a cookbook that had a variation for fish. Perhaps Googling would produce a result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about a gravadlaxy-type cured salmon? or you could make into fishcakes with potato/chive/dill, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Curly--I did that when the salmon was fresh. But I haven't made fishcakes yet! Will try this week. AND hello!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tartare and sashimi are both hard for me to get tired of. And I like curry, too, especially with minced lemon peel (fresh or preserved) in it.

    And gravlax. How about making pâté?

    I too will happily relieve you of your surplus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First: You are the FUNNIEST PERSON I HAVE EVER MET. Second. I AM NOT SAYING that because I am tDF's MIL. OK, LOL, BFF(a la kid), TTFN. Hey, how about salmon ice cream? Salmon salted and dried? Salmon in coffee (trying to kinda be like the Gilroy Garlic Festival, wherein they make ANY.THING.AND.EVERY.THING. from garlic. <3

    ReplyDelete