Monday, November 23, 2009

t'anksgiving

It's hard to believe that another year has gone by and it's holiday time again. Thanksgiving is on Thursday and I am not so ready for it. I came up with a plan: make pie crusts tonight, let turkey thaw until Wednesday when it goes into its brine, make pie and cranberry sauce on Wednesday, Turkey and potatoes and gravy on Thursday, then eat until I burst on Thursday.

I made a huge mistake, according to my dear husband, I invited 2 people over to eat with us. He's upset that he may have to share a 12 lb turkey with anybody else. We are pretty lonely folks up here and he's used to my cooking for 8 on holidays for just the 2 of us. The man likes his food.

My trouble is in the vegetable realm of the menu. I can't get excited about any of them. And I don't want to spend a lot of time on prep/cooking. Oh, and tDF thinks orange food = the devil so no sweet potatoes, yams, squash, cooked carrots or anything else orange. He wants steamed broccoli with cheese sauce like his mom makes. I asked what's in the cheese sauce and he thinks it's velveeta. I tried not to hork.

In the middle of all of this food angst we're trying to get the vapor barrier up in the house so we can begin drywall. This laborious process included squeezing black goo from a broken caulk gun into every crack and taping the edge of plastic with really expensive tape. I am so glad to go to work on Monday because I won't be covered with black stickiness and fiberglass.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! Since I live in Florida, I have very little in common with your lifestyle. I visited AK for the first time last March and was completely taken with the state. Just from the couple weeks I was up there, you seem to embody the spirit of Alaska. You are incredibly entertaining and I look forward to reading your blog each week. Your Faithful Floridian Follower- Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. You.are.so.dang.funny. And, no, I'm not saying that just because of WHO.I.AM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's not velveta- its a roux,milk, and sharp cheddar
    mil

    ReplyDelete
  4. But, cheese sauce = orange food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hullo Sarah! Welcome to my rantings.

    YOU. I am funny due to the negative light each day.

    MIL--I know it's a roux, but I thought you would laugh at his velveeta quip.

    K--(I think?) cheese sauce didn't begin life as a veggie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But no! No "K"! It's the person who possesses the photo of you and the heart-dissection :)

    ReplyDelete