Friday, August 14, 2009

Beets me!

I grew several beets this year. Mostly for their greens because beet greens are yummy. Unfortunately, when you grow beet greens you end up with beets. A. Lot. Of. Beets. What to do with all the beets? There are the traditional stand by's of Pickling them, making borscht, throwing them at little brothers. (Hey K, remember that one time we played baseball in the back yard with all those rotten tomatoes and the dillweed neighbors got all mad at us? Good times!)

I want to do something different with them. My first attempt was a roasted beet and carrot salad over arugula. I liked it but my old man reminded me, "how he feels about cooked orange foods." I can't believe I married someone who doesn't like pumpkin pie, the king of pie. Sigh. He does have other redeeming qualities.

I read about a beet, mint and citrus salad that sounded good. Maybe I'll try that because my mint has begun to bully my rhubarb. I don't know. Beets taste fine but I really don't like turning pink. Beets manage to turn everything to such an aggressive shade of pink. Like Barbie's revenge pink.

To take my mind off it, I'll make mini cupcakes. To take your mind off beets, here are some turkeys from Kosciusko Island.

1 comment:

  1. cooked beets are delicious! i can see tdf turning up his nose- but i love'em!
    thanks for doing the blog- feels like i get to keep in touch!
    vt says peel and grate a beet, add to peeled and grated granny smith apple, 1/2 c plain yogurt, lemon juice, dash salt, 1 tsp horseradish. fill pita bread w/ the mixture and stuff w/sprouts or greens.

    katzen says this recipe reforms beet-haters:
    odessa beets
    5-6 med beets
    2-3 tbs lemon juice
    8-10 prunes, pitted and thinly sliced
    2-3 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp salt
    black pepper to taste
    1/2 c walnuts, finely chopped
    1c finely chopped pineapple, fresh or canned in juice
    pre heat oven to 400. wrap beets in foil and bake 40-45 min- until tender. rinse under cold running water, and grate- a food processor does this well.
    transfer to a bowl and add the reat of the ingredients and mix well. chill until ready to serve.
    this is a ukrainian recipe- she says a little mayo and more garlic are sometimes added.

    ReplyDelete