Sunday, August 23, 2009

Bacon and Stilton

I read cookbooks like the delicious novels that they are. Lusting after certain recipes. Staring at photos of extremely complicated confectionery. Some are never far from my mind (or my gullet). I don't often indulge my more extravagant foodie whims. Partly due to cost and partly due to my the fact I don't think the two of us need to eat an entire Orange Dessert (Larousse Gastronomique). 

I indulged today. To a recipe that has haunted me since I first read about it in 2005. That's a long time to wait to make something, I know. Why did I wait so long? Well, because the primary ingredient is something that I always managed to inhale before realizing I could make something with it: Stilton. One of the stores finally stocked Stilton (WITHOUT the cursed mango and ginger). I bought my precious wedge yesterday morning, not caring that it was $22.50 per pound. This recipe is a bacon and Stilton cheesecake. 

My two favorite foods in the whole world are Bacon and Cheese. In that order. When I was a vegetarian, I couldn't resist the siren song of the crispy, fatty, salty meat. Bacon is a miracle worker: larding lean meat, curing hangovers, or dressing up a salad. As far as cheese goes, I haven't met a cheese that I didn't like. The stinkier the better. To combine these? Well, I can't believe it took me this long.

The recipe is from an old Saveur. The issue is about Bacon, "The best food in the World." This was my very first issue of Saveur I ever got (from a gift subscription) and it hooked me. 

It's an amazingly simple recipe. Graham cracker crust. Cream cheese, Stilton, bacon, and walnut filling. You don't even bake it, just chill it until set up. Doesn't that sound like the perfect little brunch item? It's dessert to me, though. I'll probably dress it up with a peach-rhubarb relish/compote/chutney. Haven't figured that out yet. 

I didn't have the appropriate hardware (2x2 inch ring molds) to make the pictured version of the little beauties, so I used a mini-cupcake pan. I can see these little molds may be useful in the future for little tarts, or more cheesecakes. I'll figure that out if I manage to find them.

I'm not sure how they'll turn out. They are chilling in the fridge right now. Waiting. Waiting.

2 comments:

  1. sooooooooooooooo? how was it? the grahm cracker/bacon is a question to me- diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it. The crust was just graham cracker and butter pressed in the base. They are salty and fatty and perfect. I made a peach-rhubarb compote with Saki for the top. It wasn't a dessert, more like a brunch item.

    tDF didn't like them. booger.

    ReplyDelete