Friday, July 17, 2009

When fire attacks

We went back out to the xtreme blaze today. I took some pictures for all the soily peeps who may be reading this. The fire burned through the soil, and sort of creeped through the tree roots while the organic peat (yes, organic peat is redundant but go with it) insulated the burn and did a bit of burning itself. I was very impressed.
The fire burned through about 3 feet of duff/peat. It was still warm this afternoon while we were cold trailing. I sort of stood there dumbfounded at what a small blaze could do. Lately, I've been doing a lot of reading about soil carbon, so seeing the amount of carbon that could be burned really stuck with me.
All of those roots were growing in organic soil that was burned away. All that's left is some bare rocks. These fires are smokers instead of huge flames that tear across the countryside.

Another day, another completely awesome thing I get paid to do. My job is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment