Monday, April 27, 2009

moderate failure

My name is Muskeg Harpy. I am a reforming pack rat. To wit: I had at least 4 full boxes of old magazines that I had "saved" through 5 moves. These boxes weighed at least 27 pounds each and managed to soak up at least that weight in water vapor. Some of them mildewed.

I went through all of my stuff and got rid of a bunch of crap. My magazines too. See, I had kept them because they had recipes or some little project I wanted to do. I went through each and every old Saveur, Readymade, Bon Appetite, and Martha Stewart Living and tore out everything that looked good/fun.

These are now in thematic piles on a table. When a recipe is a winner, I glue it into my special book where I obsessively write down all my recipes. It's about as close to scrap booking as I get. The recipes were sucessful for the most part, until this weekend. Sage short bread from Bon Appetite did me in.

I wanted herbed short bread. It sounded fun plus I got to use my new oven(!!!) and my recently unearthed Cuisinart. I should have known that 1 tsp of coarse kosher salt would be too much for 2 c flour, 1 c butter and 1/2 c sugar.

Wierd is just about the nicest thing I can say for them. They are not a delightful cookie to eat while watching a marathon of Ballykissangel from the library. They would have been good as an amuse bouche with some smoked salmon.

This one is not getting glued into my recipe book.

No comments:

Post a Comment