Friday, March 27, 2009

Rotten Pork

It's a well known fact that I have a really bad sense of smell. I'm like that ole hound dog, Trusty, in Lady in the Tramp. Mostly, this serves me well because I can tolerate odors that most people can't. Fish, skunk, old dairy, moldy tupperware, stockyards, or any matter of poop are no problem. My Broken Sniffer (tm Dirty Fisherman) sometimes gets me into trouble.

Take yesterday (please). I trimmed a pork shoulder awhile ago and saved some of the really fatty meat to use in a stew or something. Well last night I thought they'd work with some black beans for dinner. I chopped them up and threw them in the pan. I admit, the meat didn't smell exactly right but I don't trust my nose. Well tDF peeks from over the edge of his Journal of Light Construction and asks what I'm cooking.

Oh, just some pork I saved from that shoulder we had.
You can't smell that?
What.
It's making my eyes water. I think I'm going to barf.

Apparently, this meat was rotten and I was cooking it. I guess when meat smells sweet it's the smell of rot? I honestly don't know. TDF got scared because if he wasn't there I probably would have eaten this meat and gotten violently ill. Bad nose! They also tell me that you can smell brown bears in the woods and that should be a warning. My nose won't work there either. I don't have a very safe nose.

It took the better part of 2 hours to clear the stink out. I cleaned out the pan, boiled water in it, then baked it in the oven. We turned on the new, awesome, hood full blast and opened a window. I read Martha Stewart and this month had a tip on simmering lemon and cloves on the stove to get rid of food smells. I also lit our one and only candle.

Later I asked tDF how it smelled
I smell rotten meat, lemons, and candle
oh. So it's not better even with the lemons and clove
I think our problem is a bit bigger than a "food smell"

We got rid of the odor, eventually. Now there are many jokes about cooking rotten pork.

All this talk about smells reminds me of my Brother. We walked in the door one day after school. My mom had been baking cookies, it smelled good (my nose worked back then). The Brother says, "Oooh, what's that stench?" He liked thesauruses, so didn't know that the word stench was always a bad smell. This still makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment