Monday, February 2, 2009

confession

I love my crock pot. When we got married I think we got like 3 for gifts. I thought they were the dumbest things in creation. Why would I need a crock pot? I can make everything on the stove by my ownself. I felt, snottily, that I was better than a crock pot, that people who used crock pots were lazy hamburger-helper lamecakes.

I was wrong. Let me list the reasons:

1. Dirty fisherman hunts now (remind me to write about our different hiking philosophies) so we have a lots of deer. Deer is somewhat gamey and works well when cooked in a wet heat.
2. Beans are cheap. Our house is bleeding us dry so we save where we can.
3. I get quite yelly at 5:30 when I get home from work and the DF says, "so, what's for dinner."
4. I like chipotles.

If you integrate all of these, you get a crock pot! Yay! I've only used it a few times but I really like how a cheap/tough cut of meat becomes perfectly shredded and tasty. Also, one batch lasts a few dinners and lunches so I can focus more on my knitting and whatnot.

I feel better now. I always feel like convience cooking is for pansies. I'm not a pansy in the kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting a crock pot so bad, I too at one point thought them as stupid and that I can cook myself! I did not get a crock pot for our wedding and did not have it on the registry either, but we got an electric skillet that I so far have not used. A crock pot now is entirely different and I need to get one before we decide to have babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, they are more helpful than I thought they would be. I love mine--it's programmable with many different levels/cook times.

    ReplyDelete